Thursday, December 17, 2009

seth's recap

Adult story time - this piece was in response to "tell a
story". For this piece the class and I sat down at a table
like you would have done in elementary school, and I read a
more violent/adult version of the famous story of the three
little pigs.


Dirty vs Clean - For this piece I walked into class wearing
a shirt, tie, and black slacks. Before class started I had
put a plastic tarp in the center of the room with 6 chairs
in front for the audience to sit. I then started to walk in
circles on the tarp while squeezing different bottles and
colors of soap on the tarp. I had decided to include the
class in this performance so while I was walking around in
circles I would sporadically pull people from their seats to
help me squeeze the bottles. I also included the audience by
GENTLY tossing bars of soap at them. after everyone helped
me with the soap I continued to do roll around and do
various body poses in the soap. The point of this piece was
that even things that are made to keep you clean can make
you dirty as well.

Ritual Piece - The idea for this piece came to me shortly
after rereading the ritual chapter of our textbook. I knew I
wanted to do something that involved the act of everyday
ritual, so I acted out the three things I do every day which
are eat, drink, and wash. i showed this by sitting a table
by myself in the front of the room, I had a protein bar, a
bottle of water, and hand sanitizer. I continuously did all
three things in a row for about 20 minutes until the protein
bar was done.

Blindfold Drawing - I blindfolded the class and walked each
person to crammed uncomfortable area where I had placed a
very large foam board. I put a different color marker in
every one's hand and then continued to play three totally
different instrumental songs which lasted 18 minutes and
told the class to draw what they felt. While they were
drawing I would move them around the space and change their
markers so no one but me would know who was where and who
drew what. At the end we were left with this enormous board
covered in scribbles, shapes, patterns, and words.

OK, NOT OK - This piece symbolizes the internal battles we
all must face on a daily basis. I sat the class down in a
circle facing outwards and started to walk around the
circle, the first time around i would look the person right
in the eyes and with a smile on my face say "everything's
going to be ok". After my third time around I started to say
"everything is not going to be ok" and my smile changed to a
more serious/stern look. After walking around saying that
three times I walked into the corner to a body outline and
laid there for 2 minutes which symbolized that for me on
this particular day everything was not ok. This piece was in
dedication to a friend of mine who had recently committed
suicide.

No comments:

Post a Comment