Friday, December 18, 2009

rumrill's recap

Performance I
For this performance I led the group, referred to as
my "children", on a quest to the school library. Throughout
the performance I spoke only in rhyme, and requested a chant
to be repeated after each couplet. We went through the art
school, outside, and through the doors of the library, where
my character went off to live. Part of the piece involved
trying to get "outsiders" to join the journey, however most
bystanders did not care to. This piece was made in an
effort to tell a story, but have the members of the class be
a part of the story being told.

Performance II
This performance began with me distributing typewritten
notes to everyone in attendance. These notes supplied them
with a username and password, and invited them to use a
facebook page under my name. This page would be seen by
everyone I know. The participants were allowed to do
whatever they'd like so long as they did not get the page
banned. This would include sending messages, use of the
"chat" function with any friends of mine, and changing any
personal information of Robert J. Rumrill. Notes were also
given to certain friends, and some strangers. At the start
of the next class, I changed the password and username back,
signifying the end of the piece.

Performance III
This performance, a written out sequence of questions, was
made in an effort to create something that, if performed in
such a way, could go on forever. The performance began with
me asking questions to the audience, such as "Is it alright
if I begin?" all questions were either directed to the
audience, or to specific people within the audience. At one
point the score called for me to ask "Could you take over
for me from the beginning?" and to give an audience member a
copy of the score, all the while continuing doing "my part".
The audience member would then start the sequence again,
eventually giving a copy to someone else, etc. Creating and
endless tide of questions, as long as everyone is game to
continue. This particular performance ended when everyone
asked Corinne, who was in the process of performing a silent
piece, to take over for them.

Performance IV
This performance began with me leaving the room with both
female members of the class. They carried a bag and led me
to the women's room. I then asked them to get chairs for me
and themselves, and waited there for them to return. When
they did, I removed a tub of rocky road ice cream from the
bag, and proceeded to eat it in front of the mirror.
Through this, I made idle chatter regarding my love of ice
cream, and how excited I was to be eating sch a large
amount. At a certain point, I asked one member to leave,
and send another person in their place. Another member of
the class came in, and I continued to eat ice cream, and
voice my thoughts. This sequence happened until there was
no one else to send. Each successive person got more and
more complaints about what a chore it was to eat such a
large amount of ice cream. I finished the rest of the tub,
with the last person in attendance, debated with them
whether to throw up or not, sent them back, cleaned up my
mess, and returned to the class full of ice cream.

Performance V
This was done in collaboration with Devin. For this piece we
decided to set up on opposite sides of the room with amps
and guitars. In addition to those audience members already
present in the room, we gathered as many people as possible
and brought them into the performance space. When the
performance began we asked everyone to leave the room with
the exception of one person who, prior to the performance,
was asked to stay and be seated in the middle of the room.
Once everyone else left the room Devin and I turned on our
amps and struck an open chord at the same time, and let it
ring. After doing this, I sustained very loud feedback,
while Devin did a slide guitar solo, reminiscent of standard
rock or blues. When Devin finished his solo, he indicated
to me that he was done (through raising his guitar), and I
did a similar slide guitar solo, while Devin supplied
feedback. Once I finished my solo, Devin and I struck open
chords, similar to the beginning of the piece, and played a
final guitar flourish together. Once we were finished, we
turned our amplifiers of and the audience member clapped
quietly and politely.

No comments:

Post a Comment