Friday, October 23, 2009

Oct 22

I had intentions for this performance. I don't feel like the were executed how I intended. Let me start by saying that Devin's piece was very interesting. He was very devoted to maintaining his action no matter what the disturbance. However, in so doing, I lost all care or meaning in the actual action of the performance, but only paid attention to his persistence- and how much it affected my piece.  That being said, on a more personal note I felt a little offended. Yes, I understand his piece was meant for the entire duration of the class if not longer. However, he knew there were other presentations that evening, and I felt like his piece could have at least gone after. His execution, I believe, still would have succeeded. I did not particularly have a good day yesterday. Coming back from work, I got stuck on 84 for what should have been 5 minutes- for an hour. I stopped to pick up my pumpkin and ended up arriving late. I parked in what should be an ok spot after 4:30, which a professor also assured me would be fine. I ran in to do my piece on time. Then we waited as Devin read articles and prepositions without stopping. I tried to be respectful, and stayed longer than any other class mate with the exception of Gene. When I knew the time for my piece was at risk, I asked the intent so I wouldn't be rude if I proceeded with my own. I figured I'd leave with everyone else, if that was the intention, but I knew his piece was going to last a lot longer. So when Daryl, too, suggested I perform my piece, I decided to do so. I didn't want to, because I really had intended my piece to be by itself. There was a point to that, but clearly I couldn't have it happen. I was going to do the piece out in the hallway, but when I had told Power Boothe earlier that my piece involved a big knife, he said as long as I keep it in the class room. So I couldn't move my piece, and I had gone through such a crap day to perform it, so I did. My appearance may have looked more angered because I expressed that I was a little angry to my fellow classmates before I performed- which was not meant for the piece. I'm just very unhappy it didn't go as I planned. I'm not saying Devin's piece wasn't interesting. It was very. But I just think, out of respect, we give our full attention to each other's performances. Thus in that aspect, to give the artist credit, we shouldn't waste their efforts. If there is more than one performance during our class, and yours is going to last the rest of the time, let someone else go first. I again commemorate you for your persistence, Devin. I just think you could have allowed either me or Daryl to go- or at least have given insight to us beforehand about the duration. It really changed the piece, as Daryl commented. It changed hers too. I could barely pay attention to hers and I would have liked to. I just thought last night was unsuccessful, then, for us all in a way.. Not to mention with all that- I still got a ticket on my car. Bastards want me to give them $100. So pardon my anger. I'm never usually in this crappy of a mood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment